Textured skin is bumpy skin on the face that looks uneven. It is most often caused by a buildup of dead skin cells which give the appearance of an uneven skin texture. It can also be caused by the environment, as well as aging and acne scarring.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF TEXTURED SKIN ON THE FACE?
It helps to know how to get rid of textured skin but knowing what might be causing your bumpy skin on face is also handy so you can prevent it from reappearing. Here are a few of the most common causes of textured skin:
- A buildup of dead skin cells – this is the most common cause of an uneven skin texture, not removing dead skin cells can leave skin looking dull and uneven
- Sun damage – not protecting skin from the sun can damage its DNA and hinder its ability to repair, speeding up the aging process and leading to textured skin
- Environmental pollution – dirt and free radicals in the environment can cause stress for our skin, leading to an uneven skin texture
- Decreasing production of collagen – collagen is responsible for the regeneration and repair of our skin, without it skin can appear tired and aged
- Acne scarring – scars left behind by skin conditions such as acne can cause visibly textured skin
- Smoking – smoking is generally bad for our health so it is no surprise that it can also affect your skin
How to get rid of textured skin isn’t always the first thing you learn as part of a skin care routine. It is more common to learn about how to get rid of blackheads, pimples and wrinkles. Nonetheless there are several things you can do to get rid of textured skin for a more even appearance:
7 WAYS TO GET RID OF TEXTURED SKIN
1. Exfoliate 2-3 Times a Week
Exfoliating is vitally important to remove dead skin cells and unclog your pores. As textured and bumpy skin on the face can be a result of dead skin cells building up, exfoliating will help to clear these away and restore a more even skin texture. Using an exfoliator, such as Elemis’ Skin Buff or Dynamic Resurfacting Facial Pads, will help to thoroughly remove dead skin cells with ease, whilst caring for skin and refining your skin texture.
2. Add Vitamin C or Other Antioxidants to Your Skin Care Routine
The antioxidizing properties of vitamin C mean it is fantastic at combating damage caused by free radicals that your skin is exposed to throughout the day, which can lead to an uneven skin texture. Our Skinceuticals Antioxidant range contains vitamin C for a brighter and more even skin texture.
3. Make Sure to Apply SPF Every Day
Textured skin or an uneven skin texture can quite often be caused by sun damage. Even when it is not a particularly sunny day, the sun’s UV rays can still damage your skin. Using a moisturiser with SPF or a special sunscreen for your face such as the Elemis Dynamic Resurfacing Day Cream SPF 30 can really help to protect your skin from the sun, helping to get rid of textured skin.
4. Cleanse, Cleanse, Cleanse
Probably one of the simplest solutions for how to get rid of textured skin is to make sure you are cleansing properly. Using a cleanser every day, formulated to tackle textured skin can help to even out your skin, remove any dirt or build up of dead skin cells and prep the skin for any other products in your skin routine.
5. Try a Chemical Peel
Chemical peels help to smooth skin texture and lighten dark areas. They work by removing the top layer of skin, leaving smoother and fresher looking skin beneath the surface. You can attempt a chemical peel at home, or in a salon. Chemical peels can also help to get rid of acne scars. Elemis Dynamic Resurfacing Peel is ideal for anyone looking to treat themselves but also combat their texture skin.
6. Use A Facial Oil to Control Excess Sebum
Excess sebum can lead to an uneven skin texture as it clogs pores and holds onto dirt and dead skin cells. It may seem counterproductive to add oil to reduce oil, but the fact is the more you strip away natural oils, the more your body will produce to compensate. Consider using a product such as the to get rid of textured skin.
7. Use a corrective mask once a week as a selfcare treat to help target any texture and refine the skin. Dynamic Resurfacing Gel Mask from Elemis is perfect for anyone with textured skin.